Meet our owner
After receiving my B.A. in History from S.U.N.Y. Binghamton, I began working as a commodities trader on the floor of the New York Board of Trade. After 20+ years, I decided to get involved in a business where I could really help people and after reading about Tutor Doctor, I knew this was the company I wanted to be involved with. Being a father of 2 young children, I know and respect the values of education and where it can take you.
I am very excited about being a Tutor Doctor Franchise owner in my home town. This endeavor affords me the opportunity to bring all of my Skills and interests together; my education and background in business, my passion for both children and education and my commitment to Improving our community. I look forward to the opportunity to serve and help each new family and student that comes my way.
About Tutor Doctor
About 14 years ago, John Hooi had a simple idea and a desire to make a difference. He wondered why parents had to adjust their family’s busy schedules and drive half way across town just to put their child in another classroom with more kids…when in fact it was the classroom experience that their child was struggling with in the first place. John wondered…
- What if a tutor could come directly to the child’s home to deliver tutoring services instead of fragmenting a family’s precious time together by forcing parents to act as “taxi drivers”?
- What if there was flexibility in the tutor’s schedule so that tutoring time slots could be scheduled to accommodate for a family’s busy schedule?
- What if a struggling child could get one on one attention instead of being limited to the “one-to-many” teaching models used by most extra-curricular learning centers?
- What if a tutor could develop a personalized program by working with the child’s existing homework and school curriculum instead of loading more standard textbook work on an already overwhelmed child?
- What if average families could get access to top tutoring resources sometimes reserved only for wealthier families?
These questions and more were eventually answered through the development of the Tutor Doctor program. Over the last 14 years, the Tutor Doctor vision has taken shape. In 2003 the company turned to franchising as a way of expanding the company’s impact and meeting the vast market demand. Now with offices internationally, the Tutor Doctor vision is becoming a reality as the lives of students and their families are being positively impacted.